- Introduction: the EU cohesion policy supports the Europe 2020 strategy aimed at fostering a smart, sustainable and inclusive growth with new employment, increased competitiveness among enterprises, sustainable economic development and improvement of the quality of life of citizens in all regions and cities. Financial support for the cohesion policies is provided through three main types of funds: the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), the Cohesion Fund (CF) and the European Social Fund (ESF). These funds, together with the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the European Maritime and Fisheries Fund (EMFF), form the European Structural & Investment Funds (ESIFs). In the 2014-2020 programming period the Partnership Agreement, which defines the Italian strategy for the European Funds’ utilization, envisages an investment of 32.2 billion euros, in addition to EUR 10.4 billion euros for rural development and 537 million euros for the maritime and fisheries sector.
The territorial distribution of the funds considers the average GDP per capita of the residents:
- "more developed", with an average GDP per capita over 90% of the EU average (central / northern regions),
- "in transition", with an average GDP per capita between 75% and 90% of the EU average (Abruzzo, Molise and Sardinia),
- "less developed", with an average GDP per capita below 75% of the EU average (Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Puglia and Sicily).
Three of the above 11 thematic objectives - TO 4, 5 and 6 - are directly related to environmental issues; but investments in favor of the environmental sustainability can be financed also through actions of other thematic objectives (eg. TO 1, 3, and for the "less developed" regions even TO 7).
- he allocation of resources related to the climate change topic (in its dual purpose of mitigation and adaptation) is of particular importance in the 2014-2020 programming period: around 9.5 billion euros of investments, especially ERDF and EAFRD resources.
The cohesion policy for the 2014-2020 programming period envisages for Italy:
National Operational Programmes co-funded by ERDF/ ESF and National Programmes under EAFRD read more
Regional Operational Programmes co-funded byERDF/ ESF and Rural Development Plans under EAFRD read more
European Territorial Cooperation (ETC) programmes 2014 - 2020 read more
ERDF/ ESF programmes for 2014-2020
The next page allows the user to perform a detailed search on the interventions foreseen in the ERDF and ESF Operational Programmes for 2014-2020. The selection of the Territorial area and of the Fund will allow the user to select one of the Thematic Areas in relation to the given territory; selecting a Thematic Area the interventions planned for 2014-2020 on the selected territory and under the selected fund will be visualized.